Golden beets are an unexpectedly awesome addition to this fast and fresh pasta salad. Precooked, pre sliced beets mean less prep work and cook time, so you can easily whip this barbecue side together in just 20 minutes. Leave out the prosciutto if you prefer to keep this dish vegetarian.
Serves: 8 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes | Ready in: 20 minutes | Difficulty Level: Easy
- Half pkg (454 g pkg) PC® Farfalle Pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen PC® Small Sweet Peas
- 3 slices PC Prosciutto Boneless & Skinless Dry Cured Ham
- 1 pkg (300 g) PC® Steam-Cooked Sliced Golden Beets, patted dry and halved
- 1 pkg (225 g) PC® Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed (about 2 cups lightly packed)
- Half red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) PC® Green Goddess Dressing
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shaved PC® Splendido Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Pinch (0.5 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 4 L (16 cups) salted water to a rapid boil in large saucepan. Add pasta. Stir occasionally until water returns to a boil. Cook until al dente or tender but firm, 11 to 12 minutes, adding peas in final 2 to 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and rinse under cold water until chilled; drain well.
- Meanwhile, arrange prosciutto in a single layer in nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Cook, turning once, until crispy and browned (about 4 minutes). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Cut or break into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Set aside.
- Combine pasta mixture, beets, tomatoes, watercress, red onion, dressing, lemon juice, half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with prosciutto and remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Chef’s Tip: Substitute fusilli or orecchiette for the farfalle.
Check out these other awesome summer barbecue recipes: