Playing with food is one of our favourite pastimes, especially when the kids want to get involved. We love spending time with them in the kitchen, exploring different flavours and testing out new recipes. We firmly believe it helps develop their curiosity about food and they are more apt to try new dishes they’ve had a hand in making.
Our latest food adventure has been trying to nail down the perfect summer potluck and BBQ dessert, and we’ve definitely done it. We were looking for something easy to make (and make ahead), that is super delicious, and can feed a crowd. So we’ve baked up a twist on the traditional Tres Leches Cake — it’s got a little tropical flair! It’s super delicious and it comes together in no time, thanks to a shortcut using PC black label Key Lime Curd Fruit Filling and Dessert Topping. This stuff is dangerously delicious (enough to want to eat it straight out of the jar). It’s a really fun dish to bake with kids, they always get a kick out of poking the cake!
Give it a try, we bet it will become your go-to dessert this summer!
Coconut-Lime Tres Leches Cake
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 can (398 mL) coconut milk
- 4 tsp (20 mL) rum
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1-¼ cups (300 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 can (300 mL) PC® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can (354 mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 1 jar (250 mL) PC® black label Lime Curd Fruit Filling And Dessert Topping
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) large flaked coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Spray 13 X 9 inch (3 L) glass baking dish with cooking spray (Tip – we greased ours with coconut oil for even more tropical flavour!)
- Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside. Stir together 1 cup (250 mL) of the coconut milk, the rum and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes or until medium peaks form. Add sugar 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time on medium-high speed until all sugar is incorporated. With mixer running, slowly pour in yolks, beating just until combined. Transfer to large shallow bowl.
- Sift one-third of flour mixture over surface of egg mixture and gently fold in using rubber spatula to combine; fold in half of coconut milk mixture. Repeat additions, folding after each and ending with flour. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes, rotating dish back to front after 20 minutes, or until golden and tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool on rack 30 minutes.
- Whisk together condensed milk, evaporated milk, remaining coconut milk and half of the lime curd in bowl. Poke cake all over using skewer to create many small holes. Pour half of milk mixture over cake to cover entire surface. Cake may float up; if so wait 5 minutes for cake to settle. Pour remaining milk mixture over cake and let stand 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Spread remaining lime curd evenly over entire surface of cake. Beat cream in bowl using electric mixer on medium-high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until medium-stiff peaks form. Add icing sugar and beat until combined. Spread in pillowy peaks over lime curd layer. Sprinkle with coconut and serve. (Make-ahead: Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
Here are three more enticing recipes from President’s Choice to inspire you to #playwithyourfood. Which ones are you going to try?
Brushed and baked with reserved oil, crisp baguette slices are topped with a zesty mixture of chopped Mediterranean-inspired ingredients, including PC® Black Label Grilled and Marinated Eggplant, Kalamata olives, fresh herbs and soft spreadable goat cheese. Check out the recipe here.
Intricately spiced with PC® Black Label Ras El Hanout Spice Blend and roasted until tender, this Moroccan-inspired vegetable side dish with accompanying sauces pairs perfectly with lemon-roasted chicken or lamb, or enjoy as a meatless main with couscous and wilted greens. Check out the recipe here.
A classic English dessert of broken meringues, cream, and fruit, this exquisite, entertaining-worthy spin on Eton mess tops crisp meringues with PC® Black Label Blackberry Syrup tossed with colourful fresh berries and tangy PC® Black Label Lemon Curd with sweetened whipped cream. Check out the recipe here.
Sponsored by President’s Choice