A classic English dessert of broken meringues, cream and fruit, this exquisite, entertaining-worthy spin on Eton mess tops crisp meringues with PC® Black Label Blackberry Syrup tossed with colourful fresh berries and tangy PC® Black Label Lemon Curd with sweetened whipped cream.
image via President’s Choice
Serves: 8 | Ready in: Over 60 minutes | Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Per serving: 420 calories, fat 24 g, sodium 90 mg, carbohydrate 50 g, fibre 4 g, protein 4 g
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch (0.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1-½ cups (375 mL) fresh blackberries
- 1-½ cups (375 mL) fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) PC® black label Blackberry Syrup
- 1-½ cups (375 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) PC® black label Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 jar (250 mL) PC® black label Lemon Curd Fruit Filling And Dessert Topping
- Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). Beat egg whites in a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment or in a large bowl with hand mixer on medium-high speed until thick and foamy, about 3 minutes. Add salt; beat until soft peaks form, 30 to 60 seconds. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until thick and shiny, about 3 minutes.
- Drop by 1/3 cup onto parchment paper-lined large baking sheet, 2 inches (5 cm) apart, to make 8 mounds. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, spread each mound to make 3- to 4-inch (8 to 10 cm) wide rounds. Bake until crisp and no longer shiny, about 50 minutes.
- Turn off oven; leave the oven door slightly ajar and let meringues cool in oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool completely on sheet on rack.
- Combine strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blackberry syrup in large bowl; stir gently to coat. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream in a separate large bowl until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla. Dollop half of the lemon curd over top; fold gently with rubber spatula to make ripples of curd. Repeat with remaining lemon curd.
- Gently break meringues in half; arrange 2 halves, broken sides facing, on each of 8 serving plates, leaving space between each half. Spoon 1/4 cup strawberry mixture between each of the broken halves; top each with 1/2 cup cream mixture. Top with remaining strawberry mixture, dividing evenly.
TIP: If not using meringues immediately, store in airtight container for up to 5 days.